Hi, for those of you who might be attending #asw23 for the first time, this post is for you. If it’s not your first time, keep scrolling.
Ok, first of all, congratulations. ASW is super fun and you’ll have a great time. The thing you want to avoid is having TOO great of a time. Luckily for you, over the last decade, I’ve developed a code to help make sure ASW is as productive as possible.
I’m Shaun Hall, 2019 Affy Award winner and Director of Demand Advertising Partnerships here at RevContent. Over the last decade, I’ve developed this code because I’ve fell into some of the pitfalls that Las Vegas can bring. So, follow the code, and you’ll be able to fly home with your head held high, and with more business than you know what to do with. Let’s GO!
- NEVER drink the night you arrive. Typically this is the night before meet market. Especially if you have a booth to work. You DO NOT want to have to set up the booth, and stand there day nursing a hangover from all the drinks at the chandelier bar and 3am Secret Pizza.
- Speaking of drinks, there are PLENTY of opportunities for drinks at ASW. Limit your alcohol intake to only times when you’re in a situation or with someone that presents ROI. But what do you do if it’s not an ROI opportunity?
- Mocktails. This has saved me more times than I can count. Soda water with a lime in a rocks glass, apple juice with a cherry and an orange is mock old fashioned, Cranberry Juice and sprite is a great pass for a vodka cran, and so on.
- Hungover or tired, you can’t be both. If you are presented with an ROI opportunity that is going to require drinks, don’t make it a late night if you have an early morning. If you know you’re going to be at Omnia fist bumping and sweating next to strangers until they close, mocktails or water. If it’s not a late night, feel free to have that 2nd bottle of wine.
- Finally, fail to plan, plan to fail. Put together a survival kit. at least 10 liquidIVs, advil, pepto, Immodium and clear eyes are your friend. Take a liquid IV with a bottle of water first thing in the morning. Pack a couple with you to take at lunch, and again before you go to bed. Book an appointment for an IV ahead of time. There is one in the Cosmo which I’ve been to several times. (Pro-tip, it’s a great client bonding activity.) Make sure to DRINK WATER during the day. Don’t go more than 2 drinks without some water.
If you follow these steps, I promise you that you will be on your A game all week, will get a ton of business and will have fewer regrets. If you’re also an ASW Veteran, drop your tips and tricks below!
If you’d like to set up a meeting with me to talk business or more life lessons, click the link here. If you found value in this, please share this post with your network so they can stay ahead of the curve as well in Las Vegas!